Last week, after touring the NBC Universal Studios lot, I was given the opportunity to be on set with the cast and crews of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Parks and Rec, and The Mindy Project.
Rehearsal and Filming for Brooklyn Nine-Nine
This was, by far, my favorite part of the day as I’m such a huge fan of Andy Samberg. I arrived on set as the cast and crew were still rehearsing for the day so I got to stand on set (specifically the precinct, if you watch the show) and watch the cast members rehearse. At one point, I thought I was in the way of Andy Samberg so I tried to move and he told me, “No no, you’re not in the way. Stay right there.” Umm Andy Samberg spoke to me. Swoon.
I can’t post any photos from the studio so here’s a googled photo of the cast that highlights who I met while on set:
- Andy Samberg is amazing to watch. Every take he ad libs something different. At one point, he asked if he could try something new in the next take. He did it… it was awesome… and the writers had him repeat it a few times as an “alt ending.” I’m SO excited to watch the episode to see which takes make it into the final cut.
- Andy Samberg telling me he wants to marry me. Okay, he probably just said “It’s nice to meet you, Angela” but it was loud in there so I’m not sure.
Filming of Parks and Recreation
I got to the set of Parks and Rec as they were already filming a scene. I sat in a room in one of those spiffy “director” chairs with headphones so I could listen in on the dialogue. I was able to talk to was Aziz Ansari as he was the only cast member on set who wasn’t in the scene at the moment.
- A crew member welcomed me to Pawnee.
- And then so did Aziz Ansari.
Filming of The Mindy Project
I got to the set of The Mindy Project as they were already filming as well. Luckily for me, there were a few breaks and I got to sit and talk with some of the cast and crew.
Again, can’t post any photos from the set so here is who I met and spoke to from the cast:
- Talking to Ike Barinholtz (who plays Morgan) about how awesome the UWS side is, specifically in comparison to SoHo (woohoo UWS!).
- Mindy Kaling apologizing to me for how absolutely ridiculous the scene they were filming must seem. Ridiculous, yes, but also quite entertaining.
The whole day felt like I was living in a
dream television show (ha!). I am so very thankful for everyone who took me around the studios and answered all of my dumb “I’m not in show business” questions.
NEXT UP – Birthdaycation Part II: Anaheim!
Do you watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Parks and Rec, or The Mindy Project? Who’s your favorite character(s)?