First up, workouts from week 3 of Newport Half training:
Yea, I know, I knowwww, it’s been a while since I’ve posted here. Honestly, for the last few weeks I’ve been questioning whether I wanted to continue keeping up with this blog so I figured I’d give it a break for a while and see what happened… and then this past weekend I got a number of e-mails from people saying they found me when searching for Dopey Challenge reviews and training insight and it gave me some motivation.
The truth is, life is just so damn good right now that I find myself with little free time/motivation to write. That being said, the plan for now is to continue posting but probably less frequently while summer/training/life is in full swing.
For now, here are some scenes from the past few weeks:
Who doesn’t love a survey? Go ahead and play along too.
1. Would you rather run along a beach path or on a mountain trail?
- Beach… I think. Or mountain. Wait – is there a risk of wildlife attacks on the mountain trail? Because that would make this question easier. I did go hiking this weekend and found myself saying “I could run this” on numerous occasions.
2. If you could choose the flavor of Gatorade at your next race’s aid stations, what would it be?
- Blue. Blue is the name, right?
3. If I gave you a $100 gift card to a running store, what would be the first thing that you would purchase with it?
- Tank top and a sports bra. Anyone else only decide to do laundry when they run out of sports bras? More importantly, DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET RID OF THE ETERNAL BACK SPORTS BRA TANLINE?!?
4. Do you prefer to follow a training plan or wake up and decide then how far and how fast you want to run?
- Depends. I thrive on a plan and it makes me happy to know what I have/want to do that day. On the flip side, it’s nice when I’m not training for something specifically and I can switch up my schedule based on weather and fun things that may come up during the week.
5. Would you rather start your run with the uphill and end on the downhill or start your run with the downhill and end with the uphill?
- Start with the uphill, end on the downhill. Unfortunately, my apartment sits on the top of a hill and no matter which direction I run in, I end on an uphill. Gross.
6. When you can’t run, what type of cross-training do you choose to do?
- Spin. Soulcycle, specifically. Emily L, to be even more specific. She’s the best. #girlcrush
7. What is your preference—> Out and back, point to point or loop runs?
- Out and back when I’m running from home, point-to-point or loop for races.
8. If you could recommend ANY running related item to a new runner, it would be a…
- Pair of shoes that were fitted specifically to you. Don’t mess around with this stuff, people.
9. Do you ever see any wild animals while out on your runs?
10. Ever gotten lost while out on a run?
11. If you could have one meal waiting and ready for you each time you got home from a run for the next 30 days… what would that meal be?
- Pizza. The answer is always pizza. Okay, green grapes too.
12. Capris or shorts… what do you run in most often?
- Shorts. Can’t mess with the shorts and compression socks combo!
13. At what mile (or how many minutes) into your run does your body start to feel like it is warming up and ready to go?
- It depends. I’ve had it take up to an hour before I settle in to my run. Sometimes I never hit that sweet spot where I feel “ready to go.”
14. What do you do with your key when you run?
15. If you could relive any race that you have done in the past, which one what it be?
- 2014 NYC Marathon because I knew I was going to PR throughout the race and I was just so happy and proud the entire time. Plus, I had a cheer squad at the finish line. (2015 Disney Marathon would have to be a close second)
16. What type of run is your least favorite type of run?
- Hmmm. Mile repeats. Yuck.
17. What has been your biggest motivation lately to get out the door to get your run on?
- Having to complete the running log for my coach. I wish I had something a little less blah than that but the past few weeks have been hot and humid and it’s really the only thing getting me out there at the moment. Otherwise, I’d be in Soulcycle every night.
18. When you go for a run, do you leave right from your front door or do you drive somewhere to start?
- I leave right from my door. I’m lucky that I’m in close proximity to 2 great running spots in NYC. Plus, I haven’t driven a car in over 2 years so that’s not an option. I have, on occasion, subway’ed to a run… but it’s not preferable.
19. When running in daylight, are sunglasses a must or an annoyance?
- I’ve actually never run in sunglasses so I don’t really know. I’m more of a hat/visor person when it’s sunny out.
20. When you get tired, what keeps you from quitting?
- Right now, it’d probably be having to admit to my coach that I quit when completing my training log. As it gets closer to race day, I’m hoping to be a little more self-motivated, but at the moment race day feels far away and it’s hot and sticky and the AC’d Soulcycle studio would feel sooo nice.
Hope everyone is enjoying their July and staying cool in the summer heat